Wednesday, 27 January 2016 13:01

Becoming A U.S Citizen

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)

A lawful permanent resident in the United States may be eligible to apply for US citizenship. In most cases, you need to be a resident for a certain number of years, and be in “continuance residence” during that time.

Being a continuance resident means that you have not left the United States for a long period of time.


For example, if you leave the United States for a period of 6 months to a year, it may be necessary to prove you did not abandon your residency by being out of the country that long. This can be done by showing that you maintained ties to the US during this period of time. In other words, if you had an emergency that caused you to be out of the country and you continued to pay taxes, own property and demonstrate other personal and financial contacts, then citizenship could still be granted.

If you are out of the country for more than a year, it will be presumed that permanent resident status has been abandoned. The result could be that the green card would be taken by Immigration and Customs Enforcement and deportation proceedings commenced. A simple step can be taken to avoid this problem by applying for a Re-entry permit. By notifying USCIS that an extended trip will be necessary, advance approval may be granted.

For answers to questions concerning US citizenship eligibility, contact us today.

Read 1086 times Last modified on Wednesday, 16 August 2017 13:36
More in this category: New Detention Program »

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

Our Staff

peterloughlinheadPeter Loughlin

Peter J. Loughlin, Esq., J.D., LL.M., has many years of experience as a practitioner and educator.  

About Peter Loughlin

GoldmanThomasWEBTom Goldman

Thomas W. Goldman, Esq., J.D., LL.M., has over 40 years of experience as a practitioner and educator.

About Tom Goldman