Is it possible to apply for a change of status to a different nonimmigrant category?
For many classes of nonimmigrant visas it is possible to file for a change of status form one immigration category to another so long as you properly file your application and supporting documentation prior to the expiration of your current authorized period of stay.1 The I-94 card that was issued to you when you were admitted to the United States or when you obtained your status will normally dictate the period you are authorized to remain in the U.S.